Enjoy – Mung Bean Pakora
Moongdal Bhanjiya or Moong dal Pakora is a popular Mumbai Street food. It is nothing but a simple and easy to make savory snack, that is light and mildly spiced and perfect for evening tea time snack with hot garam chai or chilled beverage. Instead of yellow moongdal I used whole moong dal/green moongdal or mung bean for making this bhajiyas. Whole moong added nice texture and flavor to the bhajiya than the yellow dal.
These bhajiya has a great taste and flavor of freshly ground pepper, dhaniya seeds. Adding finely chopped onions is optional but I added few finely chopped for good crunch and flavor. My kids loved this bhajiyas a lot, this is sure an addictive and yummy snack. Please do try this for your kids and family and let me know how it turned out to you.
- Whole Moongdal/Mung Bean 1 cup
- Green Chili 1 or 2 no.
- Ginger 1″ piece
- Pepper corns 1/2 tsp
- Coriander seeds/Dhaniya 1/2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Hing/Asafoetida a pinch
- Onion 3-4 tbsp(finely chopped)
- Carrot, grated 2 tbsp
- Cilantro 2 tbsp (finely chopped)
- Oil to deep fry
- Wash and soak mung bean with enough water for minimum 6-8 hours or overnight.
- Using a mortar and pestle,crush pepper corns and dhaniya seeds coarsely and keep ready.
- After soaking, drain the water and take it in a blender and to it add green chili and ginger.
- Add couple of tbsp of water and blend it to a coarse paste, similar to paruppu vadai/masal vadai consistency.
- If the batter is slightly thin, no problem you can still make bhajiyas.
- Transfer the ground batter to a bowl, add crushed pepper and dhaniya, finely chopped onion,cilantro, grated carrot and enough salt, mix well.
- That’s it. Batter is ready to fry bhajiyas/moong dal pakora.
- Heat oil in a kadai, when the oil is hot, spoon the batter directly into the hot oil and fry in medium high heat until it turns crisp and golden brown on all sides.
- Once done, remove the bhajiyas using slotted ladle and drain it in paper towel.
- Then serve the mung bean bhajiyas hot with green chutney and sweet tamarind chutney.