1. Update hardware. Hardware can completely change the look of a piece of furniture and it can do the same for your cabinets. Replace drawer and cabinet pulls for an new unique look that instantly updates your entire space.
2. Paint a lighter color. A light color on the walls and cabinets instantly brightens a space making it look larger and in turn, more expensive. Light colors reflect light and hide a multitude of sins, including those scratches, dings and dents in your old cabinets.
3. Replace Cabinet Doors. Replacing old worn out cabinet doors with new ones or sanding and refinishing your old ones will give your kitchen a sleek new look. Bring in glass, or high-gloss doors for a dose of glam or forgo the doors in some areas and create open shelving to show off your nicest pieces.
4. Change lighting. Chandeliers and pendents are the perfect accessory to not only brighten your kitchen but change the mood of the space. Standard lights that come in most homes and rentals are uniform, change it up and give the most used room in your house some personality or an unexpected element.
5. Use artwork. Artwork is a great way to elevate any room and it will do the same in your kitchen. Don’t be afraid to go big and bold, it will give the illusion of a bigger space. Art is also a great option for renters who don’t have the freedom to change everything they’d like to.
6. Paint Your Appliances Stainless Steel. Don’t have stainless steel appliances? No problem. Use a paint-on stainless steel finish to update your appliances that still work well but are giving your kitchen a dated feel. Be careful, companies make different types if this liquid stainless steel depending on the appliance and its use.
7. Window treatment. Dress up your bare windows to instantly dress up your kitchen.
8. Style your breakfast nook. Add throw pillows, a centrepiece and fresh flowers to give your breakfast spot some style.
9. Replace an old bowl or decorative elements. Change out your fruit bowl with beautiful chinoiserie or a bowl or tray for a subtle change that makes a big difference.
10. Hide small appliances. A no-cost trick! Nothing brings down a space more than clutter. Keep your counter space clear of small appliances like toasters, blenders and coffee pots. They are easy enough to take out when you want to use them.